Thursday 8 August 2013

The Perfect Red Lip ∼ Russian Red, Mac.



I would guestimate that there are over 100 different shades of red lipstick, with both huge and minute differences. It's always assumed that with so many different colours it will be easy to find one which suits you - but I thought the opposite: until July 2013 I had never found a red lipstick which has suited me. My mum swears by red lipstick, using it everyday. Always a little jealous, I was desperate to find the perfect red lip that made me look sleek and sophisticated mature. Trying out friends, my mother's and multiple swatches in various high-end/ high-street stores, I always came to the same conclusion: I look like a clown in red lipstick. 

...Until, THIS.

Russian Red by Mac has always been a cult favourite for makeup artists, beauty bloggers, youtubers, regular people and celebrities. From the likes of Kim Kardashian, Mary-Kate (or Ashley - goodness knows which) and Anne Hathaway, it became evident to me that this shade was used frequently. But, I never wondered why.

 




I came across Russian Red by chance, using a friends. Although looking at this bold colour I assumed it would be yet another shade that made me a clown; I was surprised with the result. After purchasing it the very next day, I am happy to say I have found a shade of red that suits me. I finally understood what the hype is about! What is so versatile about Russian Red is that it suits EVERY skin colour. Because I look just like Anne Hathaway... Unfortunately I do not have the looks of the celebrities above, but the colour works on them as it works on me: it's a must-have.

Many people have compared this shade to that of Ruby Woo, also by Mac. Having swatched it in the store before purchasing Russian Red, I was surprised - they are not similar in the slightest. Albeit both shades of red, Ruby Woo contains more orange whilst Russian Red is more blue-toned. Although I am sure Ruby Woo looks great on some people, I don't think it contains the versatility of Russian Red. It is less pigmented and more alarming bright. It is safe to say that Russian Red is a classic, one which I will continue to use. x S

No comments:

Post a Comment